How To Start A Blog.
Congratulations on the decision to start your own blog! I was in the same spot just like you a year and a half ago, it was the best idea I had. Blogging has handed me so many opportunities that I never would have imagined possible without my fashion and lifestyle blog! It’s even allowed me to quite my day job and focus on blogging full time. I just had my first 10k month after 1.5 years of blogging. I now get to wake up each day and do what I love all thanks to blogging! Wouldn’t it be nice to not hate getting up for work each day? It can happen for you too! I am not saying it’s easy but with the right steps, patience and a whole lot of passion it will be totally worth it. Unlike other businesses, the start up costs are very low giving you a much higher success rate and your potential is unlimited!
Here is a step by step tutorial on how to start and launch your own blog.
First of all, I want to mention that blogging is not a get rich quick job. Yes of course you want to make money but before that you really have to love it. Pick a category that you are most passionate about and write about that! When you put out what you love, your readers will pick up on that and keep coming back.
This Checklist for starting your own blog will help to make sure you completed all the steps!
Step 1. Choose your topic/niche
What are your interests? Do you love to bake? Start a baking blog. Do you love fashion? Start a fashion blog where you posts your fashion posts and give style tips. Are you a young mama? Start a mommy/lifestyle blog. The key is to write about topics that you love and interest you, your readers will love you for it and keep coming back.
Think about the things you are really good at or maybe you know something that most people don’t. Write about it!
Step 2: Choose a platform
I have been using wordpress for years (even with my past businesses) so that is the only one I will recommend. It’s very user friendly and I have never had a problem with it. It’s the most used platform and with so many plug-ins and self help videos, it’s the way to go for beginners!
Now, there is the option to get a free platform. Don’t do it. There are plenty of reasons why you should no use a free platform but some major ones are they restrict you from putting ads on your site, some of them are allowed to put their own ads on your site, you have to live with the www.yourblog.blogspot.com which does not look professional, it could be shut down with no explanation and most importantly you do not own your site.
Step 3: Choose a domain name
It’s time to choose a domain name! (www.YOURBLOGNAME.com) This part is super fun there are just a few things I suggest:
- Make sure it matches with your topic. If your name is Pattie and you will be making and selling bakedgoods, it could be pattiescakes.com.
- Make it short and sweet. People don’t have the patience to write out a long url. Make it one that they can easily remember.
- Have two-three names as your first choice may be already taken
Step 4. Website Hosting
This is what will make your website go live! I have been with Bluehost since the start of my blog and have been happy with them.
Once you click on the Bluehost Website , this screen will pop up. They are having an amazing intro special for only $3.95 a month. (Normally $7.95 a month) Bluehost was ranked one of the very best affordable hosting companies in 2017!
Once you select your plan (I recommend starting with the basic, and upgrade when you need it!) it’ll prompt you to type in your FREE domain. If you already have one, just type it in the box to the right and connect your domain to the hosing after your account is set up.
Once you have picked your plan and domain name, you will be prompted to complete your purchase and select a package. Now this is where I get the most questions from. Should I do month-to-month or the bigger packages? I always ask. how serious are you about blogging? If you are in it for the long haul, I highly recommend the 36 month plan , it’ll save you lots of money and you will make it back in no time. If you are unsure about blogging, then start with the 12 month plan. You will still get your free domain name when you sign up through my link.
After you selected your plan and completed your personal information it will ask you to choose a password. Be sure to combine letters and numbers & not one you are using elsewhere.
Transfer your Domain.
If you are using the free domain, skip this step! Read on if you already purchased a domain from somewhere else
Next it’s time to install WordPress OMG!!! Simply follow the steps on the next few pages.
SO easy right? Check your mail box because you will be getting an email saying you can login and start blogging! Yay!!
Some blogging tips that I have learned along the way:
- Social media will be your best friend! Be active on as many platforms possible especially Instagram). Most of your traffic will come from there.
- Write about what you love and from the heart. Don’t accept that collaboration if you know it’s not something you are interested in or love. People will notice! My rule is that, if I wouldn’t buy it for myself I won’t work with that brand.
- Always disclose if you have received a product in exchange for a blog post/review or if you are being paid.
- Spend some time making your blog pretty! I hired someone to custom make my website because I knew it was something worth investing in. If you don’t have the funds right away to do so, don’t worry you can still make it look awesome on your own too! Youtube videos will be your BFF for this!
- I choose to blog three times a week. Mon/Wed/Fri. Pick a schedule and stick to it! Your readers will keep coming back looking for your fresh content!
- Most importantly have fun and remember nothing great was built overnight. Enjoy every step and celebrate each milestone!
Be sure to check out this page for all the blogging tools I use!
Do you have any questions or if there something I can help you with, please shoot me an email! firstname.lastname@example.org